- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted cold butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Cup Swerve Sweetener
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Sugar Free Vanilla Ice Cream (for topping)
Apple Pie FIlling
- Peel and core apples. While cutting up apples, place in a bowl of cold water with a little bit of lemon juice to prevent
- Combine Swerve Sweetener, Flour, spices, lemon juice and butter in a large bowl.
- Drain apples and lightly pat dry. Toss apples with Swerve mixture till all are thoroughly coated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix shortening, flour, and salt together with a fork or a pastry blender until very crumbly. Add as much water as needed to hold together, and mix lightly with a fork.
- Cut ball of dough in half. Roll each half gently on a floured surface to about an inch larger than a 9 inch pan.
- Fold carefully in half, lift over pie pan, and unfold. Press into pan. Dock dough by poking all over with a fork.
- Pour filling into pie crust, making sure apples are evenly spaced. Cover with top crust and crimp the edges of dough together to form a seal.
- Cover edge of pie with aluminum foil to prevent burning. If desired brush top of pie with egg whites to make a browner crust. Place the pie pan on a sturdy cookie sheet so it will be easy to move in and out of the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden but not brown.
- Set oven to 375 degrees F and continue cooking for 50 minutes.
- Let cool for about 2 hours at room temperature before refrigerating.
Makes about 10 servings.
Serving Size 1 slice
|Total Fat 23g|
|Total Saturated Fat 11g|
|Total Carbs 60g|
|Dietary Fiber 4g|
|Net Carbs: 36g|