Chocolate Covered Caramels
- 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup (145 g) Swerve, Granular
- ½ cup (120 ml) melted coconut oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup (170 g) stevia-sweetened dark chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tsp flake sea salt
- Set aside a 8x8 pan draped with parchment paper on both sides.
- Combine the water and honey in a small saucepan. Stir until incorporated before adding the Swerve. Try your best not to splatter the Swerve up the sides of the saucepan. Using a spoon, gently stir the Swerve into the water and honey mixture, just enough to moisten the Swerve.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat. Once boiling, attach a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Cook the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes until it reaches a temperature of 320°F (160°C). The mixture will be a light amber color, almost the color of honey itself.
- Meanwhile, mix the melted coconut oil and coconut milk together with a hand mixer. Set aside.
- Once the sugar mixture reaches 320°F (160°C), carefully pour about a sixth of the coconut oil mixture, then stir with the base of the candy thermometer. Repeat with the remaining coconut oil mixture, adding a sixth of it at a time then stirring, until all of the coconut oil mixture has been added. The contents of the saucepan will bubble violently as you add the coconut oil, so be careful you don’t burn your hand as I did.
- Once all of the coconut oil mixture has been added, continue cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the caramel reaches a temperature of 240°F (115°C) for a soft caramel or 245°F (118°C) for a harder caramel as seen in the photos.
- The moment the caramel reaches your desired temperature, pour it into the prepared pan. Set aside to cool on the counter for 4 hours.
- Once completely cooled, pull the tabs of parchment paper, lifting the caramel to the counter. Cut with a sharp knife into little 1 by 1-inch (2.5cm) squares.
- Place the melted chocolate in a large bowl. One piece at a time, dip the caramel into the chocolate and transfer back to the parchment paper. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and repeat with remaining pieces. Allow the chocolate-covered caramels to cool on the counter or transfer to the fridge to set quicker.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 64 1-inch (2.5 cm) caramels.
Serving Size 1 piece
|Total Fat 13g|
|Total Saturated Fat 8g|
|Total Carbs 12g|
|Dietary Fiber 3g|
|Net Carbs: 2g|
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
Please allow time for our team to review this message. Once approved, we will post the message here. Please check back soon.