- 1 ¼ cups raw hazelnuts
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup finely ground almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Swerve Granular
- 4 tablespoons softened butter, more as necessary
- 20 ounces cranberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup + 2 TBS Swerve Confectioners
- Peel (orange part only- avoid the sour pith) and juice of 2 oranges (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup unsalted softened butter (1 stick)
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add 3 TBS of baking soda to 2 cups of boiling water. Add the hazelnuts and boil for about 3 minutes until the skin removes easily from the hazelnuts. Pour the contents into a colander and run under cold water. The water will be black. Remove skins. I used a paper towel to help remove the skin or ran the hazelnuts through my hands under the cold water. Put skinless hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, until hazelnuts are aromatic.
- In a food processor, grind nuts with the almond flour, coconut flour and salt until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Cream Swerve Granular and butter in a mixing bowl with a fork for a minute or two until pale and thick. Add nut mixture and combine until dough comes together. If it seems crumbly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons softened butter or a little cold water.
- Press dough evenly into a 10-inch tart pan; use half the dough for the sides and half for the bottom. Prick bottom with a fork and freeze for 30 minutes (or several days if desired).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chilled tart shell about 15 minutes until lightly brown. Cool.
- While the crust bakes and cools, make the cranberry curd: Put cranberries, Confectioners Swerve and orange juice and peel in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until cranberries have popped and softened, about 10 minutes.
- Purée the cooked cranberry and orange mixture with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender. Whisk the butter into the warm liquid.
- Put eggs and egg yolks into a bowl and beat lightly. Slowly whisk a cup of warm cranberry liquid into the eggs to temper, then combine both and whisk together. Wipe out pot if necessary, return liquid to pot and cook over low heat, constantly stirring, until nearly bubbling and thickened, about 10 minutes. If using immediately, let cool for 10 minutes. If working ahead, cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap (press wrap against curd) and refrigerate. (Curd may be cooked up to 1 day ahead.)
- Pour cooled cranberry curd into the cooled pre-baked tart shell and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to set curd. Cool on a rack. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Topped with swerve whipped Cream, orange peel spirals or cranberries rolled in Swerve Granular.
Serving Size 1
|Total Fat 17g|
|Total Saturated Fat 7g|
|Total Carbs 24g|
|Dietary Fiber 4g|
|Added Sugar 0g|
|Net Carbs: 4g|