- 3 cups + 3 tbsp Pamela’s Gluten-free Bread Mix
- 2 tsp granulated sugar (to activate the yeast) + 2 tbsp Swerve, Granular
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 ¼ tsp quick rise yeast (Red Star)
- ½ cup whole milk at room temperature
- ¼ cup water
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature cut into tablespoons
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Butter for greasing pan and bowl
- 1/2 cup Swerve, Granular
- 2 tbsp ground Cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup Swerve, Confectioners
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp water or lemon juice
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
For the King Cake
- Add 1 1/2 cup of the bread mix, granulated sugar, Swerve, salt and yeast together in a mixer bowl. Mix until combined.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk, water and butter to 120-130 degrees F. Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl. Beat on medium to fully combine.
- Add the eggs one at time, then sour cream and ½ cup flour. Beat until fully combined on medium speed (1-2 minutes).
- Add the rest of the flour (1 cup + 3 tablespoons); beat on medium-high to fully combine (1-2 minutes). Dough will be pliable.
- Form dough into a ball with mixing spoon (or mixer bowl if using a standing mixer). The dough will be sticky.
- Lightly butter a large mixing bowl, and place dough in mixing bowl, turning with spatula to butter the surface of the dough on all sides. Cover with damp, warm lightweight towel and place in warm, draft-free area until the dough doubles in size (approximately 1 hour).
- *Note: if a warm, draft-free spot is not available, preheat oven to 200 degrees, turn off the oven, crack the door to release some heat and place rising dough in oven with door closed.
- Punch dough down. If the dough is too sticky to work with, place dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Lay out a piece of wax paper or parchment paper that is at least 22 inches by 12 inches wide, and lightly flour the rolling surface with bread mix.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a rectangle approximately 22 inches long by 12 inches wide. Sprinkle a light dusting of bread mix to surface of dough if it sticks to your rolling pin.
For the Filling
- Combine Swerve Granular and cinnamon in a bowl. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper with cooking spray or use your hands to rub room temperature butter onto the paper; set aside.
- Spread softened cream cheese to cover the top of the dough. Sprinkle the Swerve-cinnamon mixture on top of the cream cheese.
- Using one side of the rolling mat (on a long end of the dough) gently lift the mat up allowing the edge of the dough to roll over onto the cream cheese filling by about 2 inches. Lift the mat again to roll the dough over on itself again by about 2 inches. Repeat until the dough is rolled up into a 2-3 inch wide roll with the seam at the bottom.
- Shape dough into an oval with the ends touching; pinch them together using water-moistened fingers to smooth the seam. If the dough breaks on the sides when you create the oval, make sure to pinch it shut so the cinnamon and Swerve do not leak out.
- Gently move the oval to the prepared baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap or towel and place in a warm draft-free area to rise approximately an hour or until the cake has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the cake has doubled in size place it in the oven and bake until the cake is lightly golden on top; approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
For the Glaze
- While cake is somewhat warm, on medium low, mix Swerve Franular, butter, water/lemon juice, vanilla, and milk together on the stove until a creamy glaze is formed. Brush on icing in quarters of the king cake, and sprinkle with Mardi Gras colored sprinkles*!
- * For sprinkles, place 1/8 of a cup of Swerve Granular in a bowl, and add food coloring or Watkins natural food coloring, then mix with a fork until color of choice is achieved. Typically colors are yellow, green, and purple (equal parts red and blue food coloring). If you make three colors, you will need 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup of Swerve, Granular.
Makes about 20 servings.
Serving Size 1 slice
|Total Fat 11g|
|Total Saturated Fat 6g|
|Total Carbs 45g|
|Dietary Fiber 4g|
|Net Carbs: 29g|
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
Please allow time for our team to review this message. Once approved, we will post the message here. Please check back soon.