- 2 cups fine almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened protein powder
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 cup Swerve, Granular
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup sugar (to activate the yeast)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pack quick rise yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 TBS unsalted butter, room temperature cut into tablespoons
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- butter for greasing pan and bowl
- 2/3 cup Swerve, Granular
- 4 TBS ground cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 TBS butter (room temperature)
- 6 TBS Swerve, Confectioners
- 4 TBS milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Swerve, Granular
- Food coloring (yellow, green, red, and blue)
King Cake & Filling
- In a medium bowl, make flour mixture by combining almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, baking powder, Swerve, and gelatin. Whisk to combine.
- In an electric mixer bowl, add 1 1/2 cups of flour mixture, granulated sugar, salt, and yeast.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk, water and butter to 120-130 degrees F. Add to dry ingredients, and beat on medium to fully combine. Add the eggs (one at a time), sour cream, and 1/2 cup flour mixture. Beat until fully combined on medium speed (1-2 minutes). Add the rest of the flour mixture; beat on medium-high to fully combine (1-2 minutes). Dough will be pliable.
- Form dough into a ball with hands. The dough will be sticky. Lightly butter a large mixing bowl, and place dough in bowl, turning with hands to butter the surface of the dough on all sides. Cover with damp, warm, lightweight towel and place in a warm, draft-free area until the dough doubles in size (approximately 1 hour).*
- Punch dough down. If the dough is too sticky to work with, place bowl with dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 2 equal-sized balls.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray or generously butter; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay out a large piece of wax or parchment paper, and lightly flour the rolling surface with coconut flour. Using a rolling pin, roll one of the dough balls into a rectangle approximately 12-in by 12-in. Lightly sprinkle flour to surface of dough if it sticks to the rolling pin.
- To add the filling, combine Swerve and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside. Spread 4 oz softened cream cheese to cover the top of the dough. Sprinkle half the Swerve and cinnamon mixture on top of the cream cheese.
- Gently lift the long edge of the paper up, allowing the edge of the dough to roll over onto the cream cheese filling by about 2 inches. Lift the opposite side to roll the dough over on itself again by about 2 inches. Use the rolling pin to roll out the dough to its original rectangular size, then repeat the folding process.
- With a pizza roller or knife, make three long strips of the dough. Move each strip to a baking sheet, and shape each strip into an oval with the ends touching; pinch them together using water-moistened fingers to seal. If the dough cracks when you create the oval, re-seal by pinching dough together.
- Repeat steps 7-10 for the remaining 3 mini king cakes.
- Place cakes in the preheated oven and bake until the cake is lightly golden on top; approximately 17-20 minutes for 6 small cakes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
*Note: If a warm, draft-free spot is not available, preheat oven to 200 degrees, turn off the oven, crack the door to release some heat, and place rising dough in oven with door closed.
- Place cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat until smooth. Using a sifter, add Swerve, Confectioners and whisk until creamy.Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- With a spoon or basting brunch, spread onto King Cake, then add colored granulated Swerve* immediately. Repeat with remaining 5 king cakes.
- *For colored sprinkles, place 1/3 cup of Swerve, Granular in a small bowl, and add yellow food coloring. Mix in with fork until color is achieved. Repeat with green and purple (equal parts red + blue) coloring.
Makes 24 servings.
Serving Size 1/4 mini king cake
|Total Fat 15g|
|Total Saturated Fat 7g|
|Total Carbs 26g|
|Dietary Fiber 5g|
|Net Carbs: 5g|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
Please allow time for our team to review this message. Once approved, we will post the message here. Please check back soon.