Pumpkin Pie Poke Cake
- 3 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup whey protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup Swerve, Granular
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond or cashew milk, unsweetened
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp milk or almond milk
- 3/4 cup of Swerve, granular
- ½ cup water + 1 tbsp, divided
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp xantham gum
For the Poke Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, protein powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together butter and Swerve, scraping sides of bowl intermittently. Add one egg at a time until combined. Then add pumpkin puree and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add half of dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix until just combined, then add almond milk, and mix. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325 for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean or cake is golden brown around edges and top is firm to touch.
- Let cake cool. Once cake is cool, poke holes into the cake with the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick. Set aside.
- Create caramel sauce. Let caramel sauce cool for 15 minutes and spread over cake, making sure to pour the majority of sauce into each hole. Bang the cake on the counter if you feel like the sauce isn’t seeping into the holes.
- Once the cake is cool, prepare cream cheese frosting, and spread on top of cake.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer 2–3 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Reduce speed to low and add Swerve Confectioners.
- Add vanilla and milk; mix on medium high until smooth.
For the Caramel Sauce
- Combine Swerve and ½ cup of water in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve Swerve. Cook undisturbed for 7 to 10 minutes. It will begin to smoke a bit and turn light brown when ready.
- Remove mixture from heat. Stir in cream, butter and vanilla extract. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in one tbsp water and sprinkle xantham gum over sauce. Whisk quickly to combine. Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- If caramel seems too thick, add a tsp or more of cream.
- Makes about 16 servings.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
Please allow time for our moderators to review this message. Once approved, we will post the message here. Please check back soon.