Red Velvet Cake Truffles
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup whey protein powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked, pureed beets
- OR 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1 to 2 tsp red gel food coloring
- 8 oz cream cheese, really well softened
- 4 1/2 ounces sugar-free or very dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with Swerve until well combined and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract, then beat in half of the almond flour mixture. Beat in beet puree or almond milk and food coloring, then beat in remaining almond flour mixture. Add any additional food coloring if desired.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
- Crumble cooled cake into a large bowl and add cream cheese. Mix together until very well combined. Roll into scant 1 inch balls, squeezing dough firmly together, and lay on a waxed paper lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, combine chocolate and coconut oil. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Working with one ball at a time, dip into melted chocolate and toss to coat. Lift with a fork and gently tap against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Return to waxed paper lined cookie sheet . Once all cake balls are coated, refrigerated until chocolate is set, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle any leftover chocolate over cooled truffles, just to make them look fancy.
Makes about 48 servings.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
Please allow time for our moderators to review this message. Once approved, we will post the message here. Please check back soon.