- ¾ cup Brown Swerve
- 3 TBS water
- 2 cups heavy cream (room temperature)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (room temperature)
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt 3/4 cup Brown Swerve with 3 tablespoons water, swirling skillet frequently, until Swerve turns mahogany brown in color (it should be almost but not quite black). This should take around 10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, almond milk, 1/8 tsp salt, and simmer mixture until cream mixture is completely smooth and warm. Remove pot from heat. In a separate bowl, whisk yolks. While whisking constantly, slowly pour about a third of the warm cream into the yolks, then whisk the yolk mixture back into the pot with the cream.
- Return pot to medium-low heat and gently cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer). This should take between 25-30 minutes. You want to avoid cooking ice cream mixture too fast because the egg could curdle.
- Cool mixture to room temperature. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight or for 8 hours.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into ice cream machine. Churn in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Sprinkle flaky sea salt into base during the last 2 minutes of churning. Serve directly from the machine for soft serve, or store in freezer until needed.
Serving Size 167g
|Total Fat 34g|
|Total Saturated Fat 20g|
|Total Carbs 27g|
|Dietary Fiber 2g|
|Net Carbs: 1g|