Cinnamon Bun Apple Pie
- 1 14.5 oz box refrigerated pie dough
- All-Purpose Flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup Swerve, Granular
- 1 ⅛ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4-5 assorted apples, such as McIntosh, Granny Smith & Pink Lady (about 2 lbs)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup of Swerve, Confectioners
- 2 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Line a 9 inch pie plate with 1 piece of dough.
- To make the cinnamon roll crust, lay the remaining piece of dough on a lightly floured surface or parchment paper, and spread butter evenly on top.
- Combine ¼ cup Swerve, Granular and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the butter. Gently press with your fingers to help the mixture adhere.
- Roll the dough into a tight log. Trim and discard about 1 ½ inches from both ends; cut the remaining log crosswise into ½ inch thick pieces. Arrange the pieces cut-side down in a snug circle on floured parchment paper. Lightly dust with more flour, then gently roll out into a 10 inch round. Slide the parchment onto a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to assemble the pie.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples, then toss with the lemon juice, vanilla, and remaining ¼ cup Granular Swerve and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour into dough-lined pie dish.
- Transfer to the cinnamon roll crust dough onto pie. Invert the crust on top of the pie and peel away the parchment paper. (It’s okay if the individual rounds separate a little in the process)
- Pinch the crusts together; Fold the overhanging dough under itself and crimp as desired.Brush with the beaten egg.
- Set the pie on the hot baking sheet in the oven & bake until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling - about 50 minutes. *Tent loosely with foil if the top browns too fast.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to set the pie.
- While the pie is cooling, make the glaze. Whisk together Swerve, Confectioners and milk in a bowl until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk.
- Drizzle over the warm pie and enjoy with homemade Swerved Ice Cream!
Recipe inspired by Food Network Kitchen
Img 4949 Retouched
Serving Size 1 slice
Servings 8 slices
|Total Fat 16g|
|Total Saturated Fat 7g|
|Total Carbs 66g|
|Dietary Fiber 3g|
|Net Carbs: 41g|