- ¼ cup Brown Swerve
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Swerve Confectioners
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ to 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup whole milk
- Condensed milk (see above)
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 TBS gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place Brown Swerve, maple syrup, and water in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until the Swerve melts, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle xanthan gum over caramel. Whisk in aggressively and set pot aside. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place pot back on medium heat and let cook for another 10 minutes- this will allow caramel to cook down and thicken.
- Carefully pour a layer of Brown Swerve syrup into a flan mold or 6 ramekins. Set aside and let cool while you make flan custard.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the whipping cream to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Watch carefully as you want it to simmer but not continue to boil. There should be little bubbles along the edges the whole time.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the Swerve, Confectioners and butter until dissolved. Sprinkle the surface with 1/4 tsp xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine. Let cool 10 minutes. If it's not quite thick enough, whisk in the additional xanthan gum.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and place oven rack in lower third of oven.
- Pour whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, egg yolks, Swerve Confectioners, vanilla extract, and gelatin into a blender or large food processor, and mix/blend ingredients for a minute or so, until the mixture is smooth. Pour in the cream, and pulse several times to incorporate the cream. Pour the mixture over the cooled caramel syrup in the flan mold.
- Line a roasting pan or 9 X 13 casserole dish with a damp kitchen towel. Place the flan mold or ramekins on the towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- At 25 minutes you may want to lightly cover the top of flan pan or ramekins with aluminum foil so the tops do not over brown.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the center of the flan is set but still slightly jiggly when moved, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let the flan cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, run a sharp paring knife around the inside of the mold to release the flan. Invert a plate on the mold, flip the mold over, and gently remove the mold to unmold the flan and reveal the syrupy caramel topping.
Serving Size 248g
|Total Fat 53g|
|Total Saturated Fat 33g|
|Total Carbs 38g|
|Dietary Fiber 2g|
|Net Carbs: 8g|