- 1 3/4 cup fine ground almond flour
- 2/3 cup Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter or coconut oil (melted)
- 4 TBS cold water
- 10 large eggs
- 2 to 2 1/4 cup Swerve, Confectioners depending on desired sweetness and tartness of lemons
- 2 TBS grated lemon zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp of xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 TBS unflavored gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 X 13 pan and line with parchment paper. Leave enough of the parchment paper hanging out of the pan to pull chilled lemon bar block out to cut shapes.
- For the shortbread, in a medium mixing bowl or food processor, mix the almond flour, Swerve, salt, and xanthan gum together. Melt butter and press into dry mixture with a fork until it looks like corn meal. Add cold water to the mixture by the tablespoon - it should begin to loosely combine.
- Press dough evenly into parchment-lined dish. Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until edges are brown, and parts of the shortbread surface are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Increase the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together eggs, Swerve, lemon zest, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Sprinkle gelatin and xanthan gum over the lemon/egg mixture and aggressively whisk into the wet ingredients. Make sure there are no chunks of xanthan and gelatin floating in the wet mixture.
- Pour over the cooled crust and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, cover with Saran wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- Remove from fridge. Gently with edges of parchment paper, pull lemon bar block out of pan onto a cutting board. Firmly press desired cookie cutter shapes into lemon bar block.
- Gently remove shape from cookie cutter and enjoy!
- Optional: Dust with Swerve, Confectioners and/or lemon zest once finished cutting out shapes.
Makes 10-15 servings depending on shape of cookie cutter.
*Note: If you desire bright yellow lemon bars, add a ½ tsp or 1 tsp of natural yellow food coloring to wet ingredients.
Lemon Bar Peeps 2
Serving Size 1 peep
|Total Fat 15g|
|Total Saturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbs 34g|
|Dietary Fiber 3g|
|Net Carbs: 2g|