- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened whey protein
- 1 TBS baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup Swerve, Granular
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 tsp lemon juice (citric acid will help make the cake white)
- ½ cup buttermilk at room temperature
- ¼ cup of Heavy Whipping Cream at room temperature
- 1 TBS Lemon Zest
Lemon Curd Filling
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup + 2 TBS Swerve Confectioners
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (About 4 lemons)
- 1 TBS freshly grated lemon zest (refrigerate lemon first, and it helps grating)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F and butter/grease and line two round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, mix together softened butter and Swerve until creamy. On medium speed add eggs, vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon juice. Mix until fluffy for around three minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add buttermilk and heavy whipping cream and mix until combined. Fold in lemon zest.
- Pour the batter evenly into baking pans. Bake 25- 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out almost clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for at least 30 minutes. Remove from pan by gently placing baking rack on top of pan and flipping over. Tap on center of pan, and cake will release.
Lemon Curd Filling
- Beat butter, Swerve, and salt in an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Slowly add lemon juice to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Remove from mixer. Stir in zest. (Mixture will look curdled.)
- Transfer mixture to a heavy 4 quart saucepan, and cook, whisking constantly, over medium low heat until mixture thickens about 5-10 minutes depending on quality of your pot.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with xanthan gum. Whisk in quickly and set aside and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly onto curd (this ensures a skin doesn’t form while it cools).
- Chill in the refrigerator while cake bakes and cools.
1. Beat together cream cheese, butter, and sour cream until smooth.
2. Add Swerve Confectioners and vanilla; mix on low until just combined, then beat on medium high for 10 minutes making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during the process.
Place one layer on a cake stand or platter. Spread 1/3 of the lemon curd filling across the surface. Add another layer and evenly spread another 1/3 cup of the lemon curd filling. Add another cake layer and spread the remaining lemon curd filling. Add the final cake layer and cover the cake all over with remaining frosting.
Serving Size 1
|Total Fat 27g|
|Total Saturated Fat 12g|
|Total Carbs 31g|
|Dietary Fiber 3g|
|Added Sugar 0g|
|Net Carbs: 3g|