- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened whey protein
- 1 TBS baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup Swerve Granular
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 4 tsp lemon juice (citric acid will help make the cake white)
- ½ cup buttermilk at room temperature
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream at room temperature
- 2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple- drained of juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup Swerve Confectioners
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F and butter/grease and line two round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, mix together softened butter and Swerve until creamy. On medium speed add eggs, vanilla extract, coconut extract and lemon juice. Mix until fluffy for around three minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add buttermilk and heavy whipping cream and mix until combined. Fold in 2/3 cup shredded coconut.
- Pour the batter evenly into baking pans. Bake 25- 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out almost clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for at least 30 minutes. Remove from pan by gently placing baking rack on top of pan and flipping over. Tap on center of pan, and cake will release.
Combine drained pineapple, water, and Swerve Confectioners in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until Swerve is dissolved and the mixture thickens. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with xanthan gum. Whisk in quickly. Heat for about 1 more minute on medium heat. Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator while cake bakes and cools.
Beat together cream cheese, butter, and sour cream until smooth. Add Swerve Confectioners and vanilla; mix on low until just combined, then beat on medium high for 3 minutes making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during the process.
- Place one layer on a cake stand or platter, and spread 1/3 of the pineapple filling across the surface. Repeat two times.
- Add the final cake layer and cover the cake with remaining frosting. Gently sprinkle and press the toasted coconut into the frosting.
Inspired by Southern Living's Pineapple Coconut Cake.
Serving Size 1
|Total Fat 27g|
|Total Saturated Fat 13g|
|Total Carbs 33g|
|Dietary Fiber 4g|
|Added Sugar 0g|
|Net Carbs: 3g|