Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup whey unsweetened protein
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter (room temperature), coconut oil or Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor
- ½ cup + 3 TBS Swerve, Granular
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 TBSs vanilla extract (use clear vanilla extract to keep cake as white as possible)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (room temperature)
Note: If you do not want to make from scratch you can use Swerve Sweets Vanilla Cake Mix for your cupcake batter.
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 tsp of water
- 2/3 + 2 TBS of Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- ¾ cup Swerve, Confectioner's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners - set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, baking powder, protein powder and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium high speed, mix together softened butter and Swerve Granular until creamy. On medium speed add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add almond milk and mix until combined. Remove mixer bowl and stir a few times with a spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into each cupcake liner. Place in the oven, and bake the cupcakes for 17-19 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out mostly clean; you do not want it to come out completely dry.
- Let cake cool in pan for at least 5-10 minutes. Gently remove cupcakes from pan and place on cooling rack.
- Combine raspberries, Swerve Confectioners, and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir until raspberries break down, Swerve dissolves, and sauce is heated through around 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and press sauce through a fine-mesh strainer to remove seeds.
- Place back on stove top at medium- low heat and add xantham gum, whisking quickly to thicken (1-2 minutes)- remove from stove top and set aside to let continue to thicken and come to room temperature.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In an electric mixer or with a hand mixer on medium high speed, mix cream cheese until smooth.
- Then add Swerve Confectioners and beat until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat on medium high for 10 minutes.
- Place into icing bag with icing tip of choice, and frost each cupcake.
- Take individual cupcake and with a small spoon or knife, make a hole about a ½ of an inch long and wide - can make the hole as big as you want- just want to make sure the raspberry isn’t leaking out of the bottom or side of the cooled cupcake.
- Place raspberry filling in hole, and then cover top of cupcake with frosting. Garnish with a raspberry and lemon zest if you are feeling wild and crazy. Eat immediately or within three days.
Makes 9 cupcakes.
Raspberry Lemon Cupcake 1
Serving Size 1 cupcake
|Total Fat 35g|
|Total Saturated Fat 18g|
|Total Carbs 51g|
|Dietary Fiber 6g|
|Net Carbs: 5g|