- 16 oz strawberries (sliced)
- 1/8 – ¼ cup Swerve, Granular
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 6 TBS Swerve, Granular
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 4 TBS milk or almond milk
- 4 TBS cold butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- Champagne flute or champagne flute size biscuit cutter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Wash and slice strawberries, and place in medium sized bowl.
- Toss in Swerve, Granular. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Juices should be flowing!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a baking sheet or round baking pan.
- In a medium size bowl measure out almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, Swerve, and xanthan gum, and stir together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix egg and milk until combined well. Set aside.
- Grate butter into flour mixture (I use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the flour mixture). Then blend the flour and butter with a fork or your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 3 TBS of egg/milk mixture (leave a little for basting the top of the scones), and add vanilla extract. Mix into the flour/butter mixture until well combined.
- Place dough onto parchment paper or an almond floured countertop or cutting board.
- Shape the dough into a small circle, about 1 ½ inches thick.
- Take a buttered champagne flute or small biscuit cutter- and cut scones out of dough.
- Place them on cookie sheet near each other with edges of each scone just touching (keeps the edges soft)
- Place in oven and bake for 12–15 minutes until tops are golden brown, and dough is cooked through.
- Once scones come out of the oven, place in a bowl lined with a bread cloth, cloth napkin, or kitchen towel. Place scones in bowl and cover with cloth (keeps them moist and warm for serving). Scones can also be served the day after baking- just keep them in an air tight container.
- For strawberry shortcakes, cut one or two scones in half, top bottom half of scone with strawberries, juice, and whipped cream, then place the other half on top. Enjoy!
- Add whipping cream, Swerve, Confectioners and vanilla into an electric mixer bowl.
- Mix on low for a few seconds to combine ingredients.
- Mix on high for 2-3 minutes - watching cream to ensure it doesn't over whip.
- Once cream reaches stiff peaks, remove from mixer, serve and enjoy!
Makes 12 servings.
Serving Size 1 shortcake
|Total Fat 12g|
|Total Saturated Fat 3.5g|
|Total Carbs 16g|
|Dietary Fiber 4g|
|Added Sugar 0g|
|Net Carbs: 4g|